Sunday, August 17, 2008

A MATTER OF PERSPECTIVE?

Figworts are a type of plant that includes snapdragons. I have no idea what kind of figworts the hermit was looking at.

 

Thomas Cowan included this story in his book Yearning for the Wind. There was hermit who lived by a lake in Ireland. Early one morning he set out with his boat in search of a fish for his breakfast. As he rowed he spotted the hermit from the other side of lake heading his way. Without a boat. The other man appeared to be walking on the water. Each regarded the other. The first man finally asked “what are you doing out here?” (apparently he refrained from asking the obvious-how are you staying above water) The second answered, “I’m looking for flowers for my alter. What are you doing trying to row a boat across the meadow?” When the first one replied that he was fishing for breakfast, the second directed him to a clump of flowers (the figworts, whatever kind grow in Ireland I suppose) with the comment that the fish were biting over there. The hopeful fisherman caught his breakfast and the dry shod worshipper found the flowers for his alter.

 

Perhaps the story of Jesus walking on water is as much a matter of perspective as faith. And perhaps there’s not much difference between the two.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to digest what I've read here, but yes, I agree with you on faith and perspective.  Thanks for sharing a lovely story, and I'll be re-reading it so I can ponder what you've put into my own basket of figworts.  Thank you. Sue

Anonymous said...

I want to digest what I've read here, but yes, I agree with you on faith and perspective.  Thanks for sharing a lovely story, and I'll be re-reading it so I can ponder what you've put into my own basket of figworts.  Thank you. Sue

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to come up with a comment, but I'm coming up blank.  I need to think about this for awhile.  Lisa  :-}

Anonymous said...

What Lisa said....no words except I have always loved snapdragons.

xx
Russ