Monday, November 13, 2006

AN EARTH PRAYER

I AM YOUR MOTHER (EARTH PRAYER)
 
I am your mother: do not neglect me!
Children protect me-I need your trust;
my breath is your breath, my death is your death,
ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
 
I am your nurture; do not destroy me!
Love and enjoy me, savor my fruit;
my good is your good, my food is your food,
water and flower, branches and root.
 
I am your lodging: do not abuse me!
Tenderly use me, soothing my scars;
my health is your health, my wealth is your wealth,
shining with promise, set among stars.
 
The Creator is our maker, do not deny,
challenge, defy or, threaten this place;
life is to cherish, care, or we perish!
I am your mother, tears on my face.
 
Adapted from a prayer by Shirley Erena Murray 1996
 
I found this in a little booklet my mom's Methodist Women's group used last year. All the songs and poems were by women.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.  You found that in a Methodist booklet??  I know the Methos are a pretty laid back branch of the church, but that poem sounded very PAGAN.  Wow.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Lovely!  Send it to GW...maybe he'll GET IT.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

That is lovely. Really, it doesn't sound like something written by a Christian.