Thursday, February 3, 2011

GIFTS FROM MOTHER EARTH

A little change of pace. It’s kind of hard to believe that Celtic spring began on Tuesday. The Celtic seasons turn about six weeks before the solstices and equinoxes. Hard to believe the Celts would call it spring when half the country is frozen solid.

Here is something from another tradition half a world away. The Irish Celts knew the green lands and were never far from sea or river. The Ute traveled the dry lands and mountains but, both respect and love the mother earth and what she can teach us.

GIFTS FROM MOTHER EARTH

Earth teach me stillness as grasses are stilled with light.
Earth teach me suffering as old stones suffer with memory.
Earth teach me humility as blossoms are humble with beginning.
Earth teach me caring as a mother secures her young.
Earth teach me courage as a tree that stands alone.
Earth teach me limitations as an ant which crawls on the ground.
Earth teach me freedom as the eagle that soars in the sky.
Earth teach me resignation as the leaves which die in the fall.
Earth teach me regeneration as the seed which rises in the spring,
Earth teach me to forget myself as melted show forgets its life.
Earth teach me to remember kindness as dry fields weep with rain.

Ute prayer from American Indian Healing Arts

No comments: