Sunday, June 17, 2007

THANKS DAD

I don't know if it would have been different if I'd had brothers, but dad never had the attitude that "girls don't ...........(fill in with topic of choice.)" Maybe it was being a farm kid, maybe he was just a little on the contrary side. He and his buddies worked the harvests on the local farms turn and turn about. And if the girls weren't out harvesting, they were inside helping cook for the crew and canning, salting pickling, jamming and jellying until I'm sure they were ready to drop. At least the guys got to be outside and they could take their shirts off.

And he loved to tinker. And once he was disabled mom and I were regulary pressed into service to do what he couldn't. He also was a bit of a collecter when it came to tools. Bit of a collector might be an understatement, there are some half inch drill bits out on the work bench. There's lots of really nice stuff out there.

So, where am I going with this?

Here's where I'm going. We took the fence down a couple of years ago, but kept posts. Mom wants to try raising some pole beans this year. We'll use the trellis and string twine between for the vines to climb. After a little rooting around the work bench this morning I found everything I needed to get them up. Sneaky little me. Took some scrounging, and a "I really hope we didn't give the ratchet set to Jon." We didn't and I have the barked knuckles to prove it. Figured I'd see how far I could get on my own ;-).

Thanks dad for the tools and the confidence to at least try to do the job.

And this is one of the first asian lilies to bloom. It's creamy white and the purple in the corner is a little hidcote levender.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, good work...Dad would be proud. And those trellis are going to look gorgeous when covered in pole beans. --Cin

Anonymous said...

A simple. beautiful tribute to a great dad!  Girls didn't get out of farm work at my house either.  My sisters were always thin and tan from all the chores.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Sun?  Did you have sun today?  We didn't...

Trellises look great.  But are you SURE you want to deal with all those beans...?  Lisa  :-]