Sunday, December 9, 2007

ODDS AND ENDS

 Some odd bits from the last couple of weeks or so. Or a little further back.

 

Getting used to a new toy. Back in 02 we bought a TV that included a VCR and DVD player. We got it at Sears and plunked our some extra cash for the extended warranty. Part of the coverage included replacement if something went wrong and they couldn’t fix it. Lord that sucker was a monster. Sometimes I felt like introducing it as a member of the family, it was so “there.” Weighed a ton. Well, the DVD player went to heaven back in October. Took two weeks to get the first repair call in. I’m not impressed with the process of getting a repair call scheduled but I am impressed with the result. Toshiba doesn’t make the required parts anymore. Part of the offer was an in store credit.

 

Hadn’t been near an electronics department since about 03. To say that our jaws were hitting the floor is an understatement. Anyway, we ended up with a replacement set. Flat panel, wide screen, a remote that could be used for a lethal weapon, and a book of instructions that are still making me dizzy. I still haven’t figured out the array of input options in the back. It turns on, the picture is great, I can move the darn thing if I have to, and it doesn’t look like it owns the room. I should mention that we have a postwar style bungalow. Some of more modern houses have master suite bathrooms just a little smaller than our living room. It's warm, comfortable and paid for.

 

Mom had a good idea for a fill in bird feeder until we have time to go shopping. And kopeks, Christmas is coming after all. Took the little hang in the tree bird bath and put the crumbled suet cake and seed in it. Heaven knows the local songsters have spent the last two summers ignoring it when water was in it so it might as well do something useful in the winter.

 

Got reminded that the universe has a wicked sense of humor Friday. Friday was payday so naturally my car decided to pull a fast one on the way to work. Almost got to work and old faithful decided that going over fifty was no longer an option. Turned out the catalytic converter needed replacement. Lucky me, I work for a company that sells and fixes cars. They will also let me pay part of the bill and have the rest taken out of my paycheck. So my next couple of checks will be a little light, but it beats hitting the credit card again. And the universe and I remain on speaking terms. Mostly.

 

Last weekend it was almost sixty and by Monday large parts of the Northwest were underwater. This weekend it barely made it to forty, but we’re drying out. Life in the fast lane. I’m just thankful that there was no more damage than we had. Interesting though, we didn’t rate the almost endless coverage that other more populated parts of the country seem to get in similar cases. And I guess that’s part of the answer. Most of the places that were hardest hit were smaller and kind of off the beaten paths. And it’s kind of hard to do a story about someplace that’s flooded out when you can’t get past the blown down trees or landslides blocking the highways.

 

Just under two weeks until the Solstice and the return of the sun. I can hardly wait.

 

Listening to Perry Como CD of carols. I’ve never heard this song anywhere else. If we could remain as wise as children.

Some Children See Him
By Alfred Burt

Some children see Him lily white
the infant Jesus born this night
Some children see Him lily white
with tresses soft and fair

Some children see Him bronzed and brown
the Lord of heav'n to earth come down
Some children see Him bronzed and brown
with dark and heavy hair  (with dark and heavy hair!)

Some children see Him almond-eyed
This Saviour whom we kneel beside
Some children see Him almond-eyed
With skin of yellow hue!

Some children see Him dark as they
Sweet Mary's Son to whom we pray
Some children see Him dark as they
And, ah! they love Him so!

The children in each different place
Will see the Baby Jesus' face
Like theirs but bright with heav'nly grace
And filled with holy light!

O lay aside each earthly thing
and with thy heart as offering
Come worship now the infant King
'tis love that's born tonight!

'tis love that's born tonight!

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just the words "Perry Como" make me sleepy!  ;)

Russ

Anonymous said...

Hey...I saw Vernonia on the national news.  That was kind of a kick (Vernonia is the back of beyond of Columbia County...and was mostly under water last week.)

Neat about the TV.  One of these days I'll have to get down there to visit.  Maybe during the holidays...?

Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the electronics department. I don't know what half the stuff is or does. Heck, I can't operate most of what the husband and son have plugged into our tv! --Cin