Monday, October 3, 2011

DISAGREEMENT IS NOT HATE

This letter appeared in the local paper. It was written in response to one of those everybody hates the conservative letters. This writer expressed himself far better than I could.

Dear conservative writers, radio personalities and others: I don’t hate you. In fact, there is little in the world that I hate. I dislike some things. And I like others very much. But hate is a very strong word and I think you are wrong in assigning it to me, my behaviors and my preferences.

I do disagree with you. Sometimes I disagree strongly. Sometimes I disagree vehemently. But I do not hate you. Sometimes you are wrong. When I point out the error of your ways, it is not because I hate you or what you did. I just see things differently.

I am not prepared to grant to you my unconditional support and endorsement. But that doesn’t mean I hate you. I may suggest or even advocate a way to do things that is consistent with my political leanings. That doesn’t mean that I hate you. I may stand up for my or others’ constitutionally guaranteed rights. But that doesn’t mean I hate you.

I may look weird to you. But that doesn’t mean I hate you. I might not love you, but I don’t hate you. I hope I have made myself clear.

Lawrence C. Caird
Springfield

No comments: