Thursday, June 18, 2015

I'M NUMB

Jack Kennedy. Four little girls in a church in Birmingham. Medgar Evers. Three civil rights workers found in an earthen dam. A housewife named Viola Liuzzo who only wanted to help. She brought in supplies and gave rides to students who needed one. Martin. Bobby. The unknowns from our war on subversion in the last decades of the last century. The dead civilians in the Middle East from this century. The victims of police violence. Last night.

Pray they say. I can't. Not right now. I'm prayed out. I'm numb. And I'm angry. In fact I passed "angry" about ten squares back and I'm passing totally pissed off. This morning Faux Noise is framing the Charleston shooting at an attack on Christians, which it is in a way and not the result of racism which it is. More guns. More guns. That'll solve the problem.

For years the mantra has been "we protect the rights of others to protect our own." But, what do you do when you realize that those whose rights we're protecting don't give a damn about your rights and my rights. In fact they've proven over and over in the last decade that given the chance our rights will never be respected.

Memo to the fools as Faux. There is no one more dangerous than someone who believes they have nothing to lose.

No comments: