Sunday, January 28, 2018

GENERATIONS

More than once I've had a comment on story answered with "if you don't like it here..." And my usual answer, back when I cared enough to answer, ran along these lines." I'm Scots, Irish, English, Welsh, German and I go back far enough to include Kievan  Russ and Armenian. And for all I know some Hungarian. The last ancestor to land here came off the boat in New York in 1850. Boarded in either Belfast or Liverpool. The earliest in the middle 1630's in Massachusetts. Or what became Massachusetts and Connecticut. Where do you think I should go and if you can beat 1630 we'll talk." Funny how no one has ever answered back. Can't imagine why.

Anyway this entry was inspired by this story. Arizona used to be part of Mexico so at least some of those Latinos being harassed have probably been here awhile. And then there's that pesky Native American who has us all beaten on the centuries his family has been here.

Wonder how many of those flag waver's ancestors came through right after Ellis Island was opened. When if you looked healthy and strong enough to work in the factories or sweat shops you were in like Flynn. And the current occupant is second gen on his father's side and first gen on his mother's. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

No comments: