Friday, June 28, 2019

NEW HOBBY OR .....

I started playing with my poor, neglected astronomy program and thought "what the heck." I sort of forgot that the sky was the ancient book shelf. Your myths lived in the sky. Which myths depended on where you lived. I am most familiar with the Greeks so that is probably the sand box I will be playing in but, I forgot how interesting this might get. 


This is Cetus from Starry Night. Cetus is a sea monster. However I got the cart before the horse. I mean he was sitting there when I pulled it up this morning. So I went with it. More on the sea monster later. Note this constellation is often called the whale now. Cetus is the root word for cetacean. Whales. 

However to tell his/her story I have to mention Poseidon, the Neriads, Andromeda, her mother Cassiopeia, her father Cepheus, Perseus, possibly Medusa, Herodotus and what the Greeks thought Africa looked like say three thousand years ago, the possible original meaning of the word Ethiopia and I'm not sure what all. Why I couldn't have stumbled on something less complicated. Like the microscope or the sextant?


No comments: