Monday, July 20, 2020

I'M SO FRUSTRATED

This was posted on the FB page of one of my cousin's. She's three or four years older than me. There are some reasons why she probably doesn't process information the same way some other members of the family do. Lord knows she grew up during the early civil rights era. Not that the fight is over. I guess it's like "lookee, lookee, we elected a black president so there's no more racism, right?" I'm also olde enought that my response was. "Gee I hope so but, I'll believe it when I see it."


Anyway, I looked at that FB entry. Courtesy of this self satisfied (in my opinion) individual. I looked at it. I couldn't come up with any responses that wouldn't start a war. OK, she's my cousin. And you now what really frosts me" Her mom was a Latina. Family hailed from Arizona, New Mexico and, California. And it's not in the history books, at least it wasn't when I took history but, the people living in the territory we "liberated" from Mexico were treated slightly better than the Native Americans and almost as badly African Americans. She grew up in LA, her dad was a cop, probably was shielded from the worst.

Damn it girl. You take after your beautiful mama. Unlike your two sisters your Latina heritage is written on your face. Funny how breaking the law by protesting only gets noticed when the folks with the extra melanin do the protesting. And I do not support pulling down statues, breaking windows, defacing property. Doesn't solve anything and the folks who do it generally don't get stuck with the clean up. I also suspect that half the demonstrators doing the damgage after dark in Portland do not come from Portland.

There are anarchists on both sides. Too bad we can't build a fence around some of the high desert in Eastern Oregon, toss all of window breakers and gun nuts over the fence and let them duke it out. Tulsa, Oklahoma. Rosewood, Florida. Two black communities wiped out in the twenties by white mobs. Lynchings up into the fifties. Sixties if you count the civil rights workers killed during the push for voting rights. Hell, Viola Liuzzo was just chauferring students and making supply runs.

Armed militia types besieging governor's offices? The month's long sit in at a Wild Life refuge and the damages done? The list goes on but it appears that worrying about obeying the law is not an equal opportunity proof of good citizenship.

No comments: