Tuesday, September 29, 2020

FMILY TREES

When we had to leave Springfield it happened very quickly. My sisters did the best they could to get the move organized and things moved out. The sale was handled by a professional company. And to make a long story short some items didn't make it to me and didn't, as far as I know didn't make it into the sale. Or were put aside because they might bring a good price. I was in rehab, no way I could make it over.

Anyway I didn't find out until this summer when I replaced my aging laptop that two of the priciest and hardest to replace copies of software went missing. Photoshop and Ancestry. I really don't care much about Photoshop. I used about two percent of the features and spent a lot of time cussing because frankly they'd made simple jobs about ten times harder than they needed to be. As in where the heck did you hide the photomerge. 

The other was copy of Ancestry's software. Which wouldn't be so bad except. Darn it when I backed up my tree on the computer I did not back up in a GEDCOM file. That is the universally accepted, works across all platforms program. Ancestry has their own, only works with THEIR software language. I do have some earlier versions, not nearly as complete, backups in GEDCOM and after turning around three times and spitting in the wind I went with another program. 

So now I have two hobbies to keep me out of trouble. Oregon geology and the family tree. I guess my family is lucky. We chose our ancestors wisely. LOL Runs heavy to Puritans, Quakers, and German pietists. New England, Mid Atlantic, almost no southerners. People who often immigrated as families or attached to a family as an apprentice or servant. Valused education, being involved with local government, looking out for each other.

Family history also gives me a good comeback when someone doesn't like my politics and suggests that "if you don't like it here go someplace else." I never have gotten an answer back from "if you can beat 1636 we'll talk about it" and "I'm Scots, Irish, English, Welsh, German, heaven knows whatelse where do you suggest I go?" 

It's jsut that the one I'm working from is a stump. It'll take awhile to fill it out. 

No comments: