Monday, September 21, 2020

I NEED TO KNOW WHO THE AUTHOR IS

I promise I'll get the geology going. Honest. But I feel like Alexander with the Gordian Knot and I left my sword back home.

The very small blog of a self described Christian geoscientist. I am Quaker/I'm still trying to figure it out with a seldom used degree in Anthropology with a minor in secondary ed. Frankly my "oh really sense" rears its head when the word Christian gets attached to any science discipline. I mean how often to you run run into a Christian English Majo? Or a Christian Fine Arts Major? Not very darn often.

Up front I did not manage to get through most the material posted. To be honest it attempts to contradict most of the material in the three texts I've read, or attempted to read the old syapses don't fire as fast as they used to, or is available on the net. There are three other entries and the one that really got my attention tried to use the eruption of Mount Saint Helen's to explain the creation of the Grand Canyon. Except there are no volcanoes anywhere near the Grand Canyon.

Also the Washington eruption was not the biggest boom witnessed by human beings. Compared to Krakatoa in the nineteent century. That baby blew up the mountain and causes tidal waves that killed nearly forty thousand people. The pressure wave literally circled the world. Oregon's Crater Lake serenly sits in the crater of a mountain the geologists named Mt. Mazama. When Mazama blew it sent ash and tuff twelve hundred miles away.It seems each volcano has a signaure unique to the lava flows.

And the Grand Canyon? Water and time. Halfway around the world there is a gorge in Nepal. It was cut by the Kali Gandaki rivers and is the deepest in the world. Annapurna is on one side, Dhaulagiri on the other. But here's the catch. The rivers were there before the Himalayas began to rise. As the land rose the river kept cutting away.

Back to the Grand Canyon. I am geologic amateur here so bear with me here. There was a period of what is called flat plate subduction that is theorized to have resulted in the creation of the Rocky Mountains and the raising of the Colorado Plateau. As the land rose the river cut down through the layers of sediment laid down by the ancient inland seas.


Long shot of the canyon. All those lovely, level rock layers going back a billion years or more.

OK. This wandered off down the road and took the long way back. Anyway this writer is an example of first, a particular religious/science hybrid. In this case what looks like a believer in Young Earth Creationism. They start with the assumed by some folks timeline of Genesis and then try to fit the science to fit the scripture. No matter how freaking ridiculous it gets.

Two. I don't know who this author is. All I have is the pen name. Aeropagus. Meaningless. There is no way to find out where this author was trained. No way to find out if they have actually written any research that has been peer reviewed. Some authors are quoted but a quick check of the work they've done makes me wonder if they would agree with how their research has been used.

One comment boiled down to "your example uses a flat surface, but the earth is a sphere."

Anyway thanks for putting up with my ramblings.

No comments: