Friday, June 25, 2021

MY CLIMATE CHANGE BAROMETER


 Hybrid rhododendron known as Blue Jay. I gave one to the folks back in the mid seventies. Anniversery I believe. 

We planeted it on the south east corner of the house. It was the last one to bloom and the last one to bloom out. For the first fifteen or twenty years that happened about the middle of June. Then I started to notice a change.

The bush was blooming earlier and was bloomiing out by the end of May. It became my unofficial barometer for climate change, I didn't need the talking heads to tell me what was happening. I had the plants. 

The Northwest is facing temps this next week that are more common in places like Phoenix, Arizona. We're talking temps hovering near or over 110 degrees. This is not normal folks. At least historic normal. It may be the new normal. The entire state of Oregon is undeer some degree of drought watch. The best is moderate but there's a nice patch of extreme down around the Southern Cascades and the border with California. 

No comments: