Friday, June 18, 2021

LOVE IN THE MORNING

 

You can find these little birds all over the country. It's a varietry of finch. A little larger and more spectacular than the siskins I saw west of the mountains. Google house finch and you'll find these little guys. The male has a beautiful song. And it is that time of year. There's a little balcony outside my room. Wish I could have a video of the hopeful male. That red is pretty spectacular in the early morning light. 

He's singing away. Preening. "Hey look at me." She's not too impressed. Hopping the other way. Down the rail they go. 

A second male tries to put in is two cents worth. They squabble. She heads for the bird feeder to take advantage of the new seed supply. "To heck with bilology, it's time for breakfast." Then all but the original suiter fly away. A few chirps that sound a little forlorn. Probably my imagination.Then he takes off to join the rest of the flock and it's quiet for awhile.

No comments: