Wednesday, June 9, 2021

PROBABLY POLITICALLY INCORRECT

And yes I'm distressed. I lay some of this at WalMart. Once Wally World came to control so much of the fashion world good by pleats, tucks, even extra buttons.just disappeared. It's been years since I've shopped for fabric so I have no idea what is out there. Heck check the classified, what ever there is probably someone out there willing to run a sewing machine for you. 

OoooooKaaaay. I'm going to be moderately political incorrect here. Caught the ad for the Country Music Awards. Male presenter is in what looks like a modified tux, white shirt, no tie. Female presenter is in a siliouette hugging, sparkly mini dress. And I do mean mini as in don't bend over honey. If we're going for eye candy here how about extra tight jeans and muscle shirts for the guys. 

I barely follow feminism anyway so I'm not sure how widespread this branch is. Basically a girl, I'm assuming high school but for all I know they're starting in middle school. Basically girls should be allowed to wear just about anytihng they want; extra short shorts, letting their bra staps show. And the boys should just look the other way.

Watch the Weather Channel lately? Guys in flattering shirts and ties. The male anchors don't really do what I used to call casual Friday unless they are outside. The male body is not emphasized. The women? Oh Lord. Just this side of body hugging dresses. Weird color combinations and just really weird the way the fabrics are put together. 

Alright. I'm a Boomer just over seventy. We were taught to show some pride in our appearance. Hell, I even made a fair number of my dresses for school. Good thing spandex hadn't been discovered. Advice to some of these gals and the idiots advising them to dress like members of the world's second oldest profession? Don't take and share any selfies. Those pictures can be forever. HItting the delete key does not affect the server. And there are some really talented IT folks out there who make blood hounds look like amateurs. 

A future university or employer might be put off or not appreciate close ups of your buns, your abs  (bathing suit probably OK), or your "double frontage with a view." (Nicked that from A Good Year as Russell Crowe's character is confronted with cocktail waitress bending over, extra close.) To look or not to look that is the question. 

Of course we only had two TV channels and the marketers and some of the talking heads hadn't gotten around to telling us that just because we were teenagers it was OK to push the envelopes and act like little spoiled brats. That was reserved for kids seen as delinquents, not to be emulated. 

So we pushed the envelopes in the sixties and seventies. Instead of raising the bars we lowered them, and lowered them and lowered them. At least I never had to pay big bucks for jeans that already have holes in them. 

No comments: