Friday, June 18, 2021

SIX DAYS ON THE ROAD

Or a trucker's map of the US. This started out as a short entry about a fun map. The fine print is easier to read if you click to enlarge. And remembering a few truckers I talked to back when I was working for Hickory Farms the company was probably sending him down to Bakersfield dead heading through the Grapevine and over Tejon Pass. Nasty bit of the 5, especially n winter.

One trucker's opinon of the states. Some of them are pretty funny. And it really doesn' rain ALL the time in western Oregon and Washington. It just feels like it sometimes. It isn't just the rain it's the fog in the valleys. And that pea soup. Sometimes you can barely see the car in front of you much less the back end of that eighteen wheeler a couple of car lengths ahead'



 And yeah. We think our Northwest cheeses are pretty darn good. Especially from the little guys. Tillamook is getting a little big for their britches. A lot of the milk isn't coming from cows grazing in the fields near the coast with a touch of salt in the air. It's coming from huge dairy oprations east of the mountains. Cows in feed lots being fed on the same commercial feed half the operations in the country are using.

I'd never heard of the Florida Man until now. And when that wind comes roaring down from the north there's nothing to stop it until it hits either the Gulf or the mountains in Mexico. There probably aren't any weapons stored in New Mexico but the uranium to power the Manhattan Project was mined in the Four Corners. And many of the miners were Navajo and Hopi. Without the safety measure used now. 

Funny how I started out with a map and it grows, That happens a lot. And there are fewer folks lining up for the long haul trucking jobs. I did a little digging around but I haven't located a music video that covers the song as written. Espcially the bit about those little white pills. Driver's are supposed to take an eight hour break after so many hours. Sort of got ignored when there were deadlines to meet. I've heard that a lot of trucks have computers that record when the truck is moving and when it isn't. And truckers have probably figured out ways to get around the software. Tha's how it ususally goes. 

Then there's the with variations of No Jake Brakes where the county ends and the town begins.Just gefore the speed limit sigh. Bad enough in day light but hearing what sounds like a machine gun in the middle of the night? Not cool. 

But then,  back in the day when the railroad ran through Springfield, some of those engineers seemed to lay on that horn all the way through every intersection at four in the morning. And that horn did not sound like a machine gon. 

SIX DAYS ON THE ROAD

Well I pulled outta Pittsburgh a rollin' down that Eastern Sea board
I got my diesel wound up and she's a runnin' like a never before
There's a speed zone ahead alright, I don't see a cop in sight
Six days on the road and I'm a gonna make it home tonigh
I got me ten forward gears and my George overdrive
Takin' little white pills and my eyes are open wide
I just passed a Jimmy in white, I've been passin' everything in sight
Six days on the road and I'm a gonna make it home tonight
Well it seems like a month since I kissed my baby goodbye
I could have a lotta women but I'm not like that sort of a guy
I could find one to hold me tight but I could never make believe it's alright
Six days on the road and I'm a gonna make it home tonight
ICC is a checkin' on down the line
I'm a little overweight and my log book's way behind
But nothin' bothers me tonight, I can dodge all the scales alright
Six days on the road and I'm a gonna make it home tonight
Well my rig's a little old but that don't mean she's slow
There's a flame from my stack and that smoke's blowin' black as coal
My hometown's a comin' in sight, if you think I'm a happy you're right
Six days on the road and I'm a gonna make it home tonight
Six days on the road and I'm a gonna make it home tonight
Six days on the road and I'm a gonna make it home tonight
Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Carl Montgomery / Earl Green

Well the "I'm takin' over" genie struck again. It's like I hit the road for Portland and end up in Baker City to heck and gone heading for the Idaho border. And I do believe I am done here. I really hope it's done here. It just kept growing.

No comments: