Friday, June 18, 2021

DRIVE DOWN MEMORY LANE

Ressonable shot of my first car. A used 1960 Ford Mercury Comet. Back in the day the comet was described as a compact. Darn vehicle looked like a boat and drove like one. I guess compared to a four door Cadillac with bumpers big enough to be used for a picnic the Comet was a compact. My BIL is six foot three and six of him would have fitted into a Caddie with room to spare. 

No radio and vacuum powered wind sheld wipers. That meant that if you were going uphill in a rain storm the wipers went real slow until you hit level ground. I believe my earlier entry triggered my memory of that car. Took me to school, took me to work and took me on a trip or three to the coast. 

One trip took me south past Coos Bay down to Cape Arago State Park. Wish I had my old shot I took rom the other side of Sunset Bay. The buiding is gone now All that's left a light that doesn't need tending by a light house keeper. That had to be a lonely life. 

Anyway it was time to head back to Springfield. About a three hour drive traffic permitting. Found myself in a line following a loaded log truck. I think I was second or third in line. Passing din't look like a good idea so I just settlled back to enjoy the drive. (or at last make the best of it) Checked the rear view mirror in time to see a car about three cars behind me make a break for it. I just shook my head and took my foot off the gas. Sure enough that car needed the slot I created. Really needed it. Looked like a mom with a car full of kids. It ws a close one. 

This shot does not do justice to the beauty of the cliffs and the bay. There are actually three parks located very close together. Shore Acres, Sunset Bay and Cape Arago. There is now hiking trail that heads from Sunset Bay to Cape Arago. There is a website with some good shots. The old site of the lighthouse is closed and fenced off. Probably for safety reasons. There is a small beach below the light house. Fairly easy for the young and adventourous. 

The Comet was replaced by a four door Datsun B210. Loved that car. It was great on the flats, didn't much care going uphill. But what the hey, it took me to a lot of wonderful places. 


No comments: