Monday, December 20, 2021

NO ANSWERS

 As we run up to Christmas a little blast from the past while I try to reconstruct the entry I lost when the net went down last night. And a few years later I still don't have many answers for my great grandfather. 

Robert Heaton was a Quaker and my great grandfather seven times removed. He sailed to the New World with his family aboard The Lamb in the fall of 1682. Family settled in Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. I have mixed feelings about the possibility of running into great grandfather Robert in my spiritual journeyings. I can almost hear him. "We risked bad food, bad water and possible ship wreck. Others suffered typhus, scurvy and small pox. We came searching for religious freedom and to build a better life for ourselves and our families. And a fine mess you've made of it. Daughter we expected better of our children."


And if I did run into him, damned if I'd have an answer for him.

No comments: