Wednesday, December 1, 2021

MINI RANT

 I started to watch coverage of the Waukesha shootings on News Nation. I bailed almost immediately. One. None of presenters on any station can string more than two sentences together without falling all over themselves. And yes this is a tragedy. The latest in a long list of our "thoughts and prayers are with you." And worth next to nothing. Taking on the gun lobby and making it just a little harder to buy a gun would be a big first step. 

What really sent me over the moon was the maudlin "it's so tragic that these students have to face something like this at such a young age." Or words to that effect. Lady some of these kids are old enought to vote. Some of them are old enough to enlist in the armed forces. Some of them are probably old enough to go out and buy their own guns and not take the one their dad just bought a few days ago. Honestly I don't know how old you have to be to buy a gun in Wisconsin.

Do some research talking heads. About fifty years ago kids that age or youngeer were facing down police dogs and fire hoses to march for civil rights. Students just a little older were gunned down at Kent State in 1970. Stedents were marching. protesting, sitting in to protest the ramping up of the war in Viet Nam. I suppose it's too much to ask to have you treat them with respect. You show so little to everone else. And kids? Ditch the cell phones once in awhile. Look up, stop chasing the latest fashions and the newest phones. 

OK. Rant over. Perhaps my blood pressure will come down. Please feel free to tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree. Except I lived through those days. Like so many Boomers that the memes put down. 

No comments: