Friday, January 14, 2022

BRIDGE JOINING TWO STATES



When it comes to writing these days? It's not exactly writer's block it's more like "which way do I turn" with a side order of that thrice damned cellulitis rearing its ugly head last month. I'm getting over it. Just sort of knocked the wind out of my sails. Big time. 

This is a map showing two of the three north south routes in Oregon. The third is state route 97. Goes up the backside of the Cascades. Good road, gets seriously curvy sometimes. Anyway the road I'm interested in is Highwway 101. Goes from Olympia, Washington to Los Angeles, California. 


The Astoria Megler bridge as seen from the south end in the city of Astoria, Oregon. The bridge is over four miles long. The deck of the south end of the bridge is two hundred feet above the Columbia River. The construction is a cantilever truss bridge and is the longest bridge of its type in North America.  Tall enough to allow most cargo vessels, Coast Guard and some Naval vessels to sail up the Columbia to Portland 

The bridge wss a toll bridge until the early nineties and paid off the bridge expenses two years early. 


Shot of the bridge from the Washington side. Side note. Since the Port of Portland is on the western side of the city none of those bridges have to allow for cargo or other large ships. 

OK this entry is sort of interesting but kind of tedious. But I tend to see the world as a giant puzzle and you have to have all the pieces to make sense of it. I am going to try to stick with 101 for awhile. I haven't driven all of it, but I have driven some of the best of it. In my opinion

No comments: