Wednesday, October 4, 2006

THE GOLDEN RULE

 

The Golden Rule according to the followers of

 

Baha’i

Lay not on any soul a load that you would not wish to be laid upon you, and desire not for anyone the things you would not desire for yourself.

 

Islam

Not one of you truly believes until you wish for others what you wish for yourself.

 

Judaism

What is hateful to you, do not do your neighbour. This is the whole Torah; all the rest is commentary

                                               

 

Jainism

One should treat all creatures in the world as one would like to be treated.

 

Zoroastrianism

Do not do unto others whatever is injurious to yourself.

 

Native Spirituality

We are as much alive as we keep the earth alive.

 

Christianity

In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you; for thisis the law and the prophets.

 

Sikhs

I am a stranger to no one; and no one is a stranger to me. Indeed, I am a friend to all.

 

The Tao

Regard you neighbour’s gain as your own gain, and our neighbour’s loss as your own loss.

 

Confucius

One word which sums up the basis of all good conduct…loving kindness. Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself.

 

Buddha

Treat not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.

 

Hinduism

This is the sum of duty: do not do to others what would cause pain if done to you.

 

From a handout from mom's Methodist Women's group. The Wiccan Rede is very similar: An it harm none, do what thou will. Now if we could all just follow the blessed things no matter what tradition we follow.

 

 

 

 

It may be no coincidence that all the sayings are so similar. All the traditions lie withiin the complex of the ancient network of caravan routes called the Silk Road. From Rome and Egypt and the west to the cities of China in the east goods and ideas traveled back and forth at donkey and camel pace for centuries.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only religious people would stop with the dogma obsession and just focus on the simple task of .....   being good.  How simple.

Russ

Anonymous said...

"Being good" is all well and dandy, but it doesn't pay for the gaudy temples and gold-leafed baubles, now does it?

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say, I'm a new reader here and I am enjoying your entries.  Lots of food for thought.  I have always wondered about all the same threads that run through the different religions.  Like a virgin birth, rising from the dead, etc.  I noticed your reference to those things.  Maybe sometime you could talk about how you make sense of it all.  If you do.....

Anonymous said...

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately (as much as I have time for, anyway) about how meanness and incivility have become so fashionable lately.  Do unto others?  We have no idea what that means anymore.  We don't even think about others at all...except as how we might use them to get what we want.  Empathy?  What IS that, anyway?

I'm sorry I haven't visited this journal for a long time, my friend.  I have been depending on "bloglines" to alert me to new entries, and I recently found out that bloglines does NOT report new entries on many AOL journals.  So, here I thought you had given up writing here...when in fact you write HERE more than at "Pixels."

To complicate things even further, I tried to add this journal to my AOL alerts, and I DIDN'T get an alert for the entry you posted today.  Dammit!  

I'll just try to remember to stop by from time to time...  Lisa  :-]