Monday, January 20, 2014

STILL AN INCONVENIENT HERO


I'm willing to bet that the only speech Ms. Palin is familiar with is the "I have a dream speech." I'd send her some of my books. If I thought it would do any good.

Poet Carl Wendell Himes Jr. wrote this in 1969 in memory of MLK.

Now that he is safely dead
Let us praise him
Build monuments to his glory
Sing hosannas to his name.
Dead men make
Such convenient heroes:
They cannot rise to challenge the images
We would fashion from their lives.
And besides it is easier to build monuments
Than to make a better world.
So, now that he is safely dead
We, with eased consciences
Will teach our children that he was a great man...
Knowing that the cause for which he lived
Is still a cause and the dream for which he lived
Is still a dream...A dead man's dream.

And the hero is still a most inconvenient hero. 

No comments: