Sunday, December 6, 2020

YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET THE VIRUS TO DIE FROM IT

 I don't usually post more than once a day. But this came up. Oregon doctor has his license suspended. Indefinitly. His admission came out at a local "stop the steal" rally. Likened the virus to the common cold and urged everyone to quit wearing the "mask of shame." His family practice clinic is closed. Way to go doc. Your employees are now out of jobs. At least for now. And he makes me so very angry. 


My folks wedding picture. I think I can count on one hand the times I saw dad in a suit and tie. Including the wedding picture. Not a bad looking couple. Not bad at all. This year was their seventy fifth wedding anniversar.

Our mother, our always smiling mother, did not die from the virus. I believe she died because of the virus. Yes, she was ninety four. Yes, she was hard of hearing. Yes, she was getting more at home in the past than the present. Well, the past was where all the fun was. The house, the yard, the cats, the trips to the farmer's market or a ride up the mountains where we used to live. She was comfortable. Had her books. Had the cat. Didn't really do much. Our talks on the phone were mostly about cat antics and the garden we used to have. 

I may have written about this before, if so bear with me. She fell in February, broke her ankle. Had surgery went into rehab just before the virus broke out. She hanging in there. Getting to recognize the staff, sis was in almost every day. I tried to talk to her on the phone two or three times but it was noisy and without the cocoon of her room I ended up spending most of my time getting her to realize she was talking to ME. 

Then the lockdown began. Staff in masks, sis not able to visit. Granted mom's doctor believed that at her age she probably would have trouble healing properly, which might have meant a wheel chair. She was already using a walker. It didn't take long. I called the facility three or four times a week to try and find out how she was doing. Sis called Thursday night, mom was going on hospice. Saturday sis called. She was allowed one visit, could stay as long as she wanted, kept telling mom she'd be "dancing with dad." Guess dad was really smooth with a waltz. 

Just after midnight sis called. Mom's dancing with dad. I hope they were met at the rainbow bridge. Candy, Sam, Tinker, cats whose names I don't remember. There 's no chance I'll ever meet this thrice damned idiot face to face. To be honest my blood pressure probably wouldn't take it. 

Thanks for listening, whoever reads this. 

1 comment:

Lisa :-] said...

This is so sad, my friend. I think your mom was the kind of person who was not going to do well without her independence, in any case. She was a sweet lady, and I miss her AND you. We’ll just have to do the best we can with what we have. Your mom would appreciate that.

And I know your birthday is in December, but I never remember the date. Anyhow, Happy Birthday, Jackie (I think I’m the only person who calls you that, anymore...) 🎂🎂🎂❤️