Wednesday, October 7, 2020

IF i HAD A TIME MACHINE

If you had a time machine where would you go? Granted I haven't run across a lot of responses but most folks say they want to go back and watch a famous battle or meet a famous general or something like that. I guess I'm weird because that isn't what I'd want to do. 

I'd love to discover spinning. What bored shepherd was playing with fleece that got caught in some bushes and discovered thread? And who, or multiple whos, discovered you make loops back and forth and make cloth. Or cotton. cotton is a shrub that grows in both the new and the old world. Like the fluff of a dandelion, the fluffy strands of the cotton plant help to disperse the seeds. And somebody in Peru got busy and made cloth of some kind. Cloth that dates back to 6,000 BCE. The Indus Valley a thousand years later.

I think it was when I was in junior high. Read a book set in period of the beginning of cities and the end of the great mammals. Don't remember the title. Don't remember the names of any of the characters. One thing I do remember. The hunters were used to having the pelts of the large animals to use for blankets, cloaks the like. One of the women in the clan hit on taking the pelts from smaller animals, cutting them into strips, sewing the strips together and then weaving them into blankets, cloaks. I guess someone looked at those fur items, looked at those threads of wool or cotton, had an "aha" moment and starting trying to do the same thing.

Dying? The berry juice turns my fingers blue or purple I wonder if? Berrys I can understand but those sea snails that produce Tyrian Purple. Who figuared that out. And made a eventually made a mint. The dye used to be hideously expensive. And royalty made darn sure that only they could buy it. Hence another name. Imperial Purple. 

And heck, after fire was tamed who realized that they didn't have to eat their mear raw anymore. First tamed fire caused by lightning and what? Acciedentally dropped a haunch of antelope onto the coals, didn't want to waste the meat, disovered it tasted pretty good. Or some poor critter was hit by lightning, parts of it "cooked" and someone made the connection between lightning and fire and decided "hey we can get this good stuff whenever we want to!"

The nomads that had a circuit, hit the same camps every year, their women noticed the same grain growing in the kitchen midden that they had to go out and gather on the plains. After some experimenting they figured out how to make it grow where they wanted it.

For starters that's where I would go. If I had a time machine. Sorry this entry is a little disjointed. 

No comments: