Thursday, October 29, 2020

SPECIAL EDTION OF A COOKBOOK

There is no way on earth that a cookbook titled The American Woman's Cookbook would be issued today. At least not under that title. This is the cookbook I grew up with. It wasn't just a recipe book it was a how to book. Basically a cooking course if you wanted to use it that way. I think newer reprints are still available but I haven't checked. Complete with a picture of Douglas McArthur on the inside. I think because he was the only general in the news at the time. Thank heaven by the time I was reading the cookbook the war was over and we weren't limited to those perishable organ meats. Never have learned to like liver. 

Farmers weren't limited if the meat was for their own use. If they sold part of what they raised the farmer had to collect the appropriate ration stamps. I still haven't quite figured out how it worked. You probably had to be there. 

I definitely remembere this edition. Dad brought a cookbook to the marriage from the Household searchlight. Copyright 1921. Had recipes for squirrel, rabbit, and possum. It was fun just to read it. They both had recipes for killer Devil's Food cakes. Ones that didn't call for loads of sugar and a pound of so of butter. I should check with my sister. I think she has them. 

No comments: