Saturday, March 29, 2008

FINALLY

One of the reasons for losing the grass and planting shrubs and grasses was the hope of enticing the birds and other critters to eat the fruit and seeds. So far, we've had minimal luck. Today we finally got a nibble so to speak.

This is a Pieris or Andromeda.

 

And this is what the clusters look like up close. I took this shot last spring. The blossoms have seeds and they may have a little nectar. I couldn't get a picture from this window this afternoon but one of the little goldfinch types was working over a cluster at the top. I assume searching for seeds.

And here's the best part, we saw the first hummer of the season. It was working over the lower clusters. I'll go shopping tomorrow for a new hummingbird feeder and a small shepherds crook to put near the bush. We had hummers in the back last year workiing over the fuschias so we'll see if I can entice them out front. I think it must have decided to take a rest on the lavender because one of neighborhood cats made a rush. No luck, hummer did the hover routine out in the street. Probably going "neener, neener, neener."

And it literally did EVERYTHING today. We had frost, snow, rain, wind and sunshine. Altogether weird weather for the end of March. Supposedly it's going to get up to sixty next week. I will believe it when I see it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Winter is retreating in defeat!!!  YES!!!!

xxx
Russ

Anonymous said...

The first hummer...YAY!!!!! Poor little thing was probably as confused about the weather as we are.

I love the photo of the andromeda blossoms and the red flower. --Cin