Tuesday, January 15, 2013

ADVENT STORY

I'm not a literalist when it comes to the Bible. And more than a few Quakers cross over and follow what are considered Pagan paths. But, every once in awhile something hits me.

When I was doing some reading during Advent using the Revised Common Lectionary for Year C. I realized that the original sin wasn't eating that pesky apple (or whatever it was). That was the result. The sin was a lack of trust.

Instead of taking a few minutes and going "hey, God there's this guy with a heck of a story." Eve believed the "I know something you don't know" and swallowed it hook, line and sinker. Side note. I've come across folks who contend that there was no death before. I never did run across the following conversation. "Uh, You said if we ate of the tree we'd die. What's death?" Something did die in that story. Trust died. The link that connected us to the natural and the spiritual worlds. And it's killing us.

And as far as I'm concerned something else "died" that day. Our stewardship or dominion over the rest of Creation. Many of us still claim it, but one look at the devastating mess we've made of doing it on our own proves how well that's working out. And I ran across a quote from Gandhi that runs something like this "the earth provides enough for man's needs, but not for his greed." And that is so true.


No comments: