Monday, August 23, 2021

VICTORY GARDEN

I was researching WWII history last year. Especially food rationing and civilian efforts to fill in the gaps. Especially in England. I don't know how big the bomb was that created this crater. If you look closely you can see three people in this shot. It gives you a idea of scale. Life handed some folks lemons so they turned around and created a garden in the crater.

Honestly I have no real idea what they are growing. Vegetables for sure, perhaps herbs for cooking and healing. It wouldn't have surprised me if there were a few hens scratching around for bugs and seeds. Given the fuel rationing I assume these folks lived close to what used to be a big hole in the ground. And I wonder how many other folks did the same thing but didn't get their pictures taken. Looks like an aerail shot.

There is a series on Amazon Prime, Dr. Finley, set in Scotland in the years after the war. Say forty six to forty nine or fifty. There are several remarks in different episodes indicating that some rationing is still in force. Eggs for example. And I'm assuming fuel. See just as many bicycles on the roads as cars. 

Quite a nice garden these folks have going. 

 

No comments: