Thursday, December 19, 2013

SHOCKING THE ONE PERCENTERS




Jim Morin is the cartoonist. Now I wonder who Jesus' first teacher was? See below. 

Note: There is no danger of me heading down the same path as the fundie's Just that my reading has lead me to scripture that doesn't get much notice. 

Luke 1:46-55. What Mary sang after arriving at her cousin Elizabeth and discovering that Elizabeth indeed was with child although supposedly past the age of having children. 

THE MAGNIFICAT Also known as the song of Mary.

.My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour;
he has looked with favour on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed;
the Almighty has done great things for me and holy is his name.
He has mercy on those who fear him,
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm
and has scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones
and lifting up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things
and sent the rich away empty.
He has come to the aid of his servant Israel,
to remember his promise of mercy,
The promise made to our ancestors,

Funny most of the time when I’ve heard this it’s just been the first section ending with “all generations will call me blessed.” Then we get to the part that doesn’t get publicly performed very often. And I’m betting that NO part of it gets performed in any mega church pageants. I mean from “ He has shown the strength with his arm to sending the rich away empty.” Revolutionary. And it certainly fits that cartoon at the beginning from Jim Morin. Which I absolutely, totally love


3 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

Most of those mega-churches are of the type that disdain "Mary-worship"...so they probably don't even have a clue that the Magnificat exists.

JACKIE said...

Kinda figured as much. That, and the megas don't go in much for humbling the proud. raising the lowly and filling the hungry with good things.And mercy? What's that? Then there are the ones that push the so called prosperity gospel. If you're poor it's because your faith isn't strong enough. In other words "it's your fault." I'm tired.

flask said...

at a bible study once they asked us to say what we thought jesus would be doing if he were on earth in flesh today.

"sitting in a cell at gitmo", i said.

semitic-looking troublemaker? haul his terrorist ass right in.