Tuesday, December 31, 2013
WHAT WOULD JESUS CUT
Courtesy of Mr. Horsey of the LA Times. The cartoon accompanies an articles on some verses about the poor that the fundies would prefer to ignore. I wonder how many of the fundies realize that Rand was a Russian refugee atheist who wrote some really bad books. Not just the philosophy, but man that gal was a lousy writer. I confess. Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa. I read her back in my college days. Tried to anyway. Her philosophy didn't pass the smell test; her characters were cardboard cutouts. Back to the library went Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead. And bad 'cess to them.
1. If there is a poor man among you, one of your brothers, in any of the towns of the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart,m nor close your hand to your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks. Deut 15:7
2. Now when your reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very corners of your field, neither shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest. Nor shall you glean your vineyard, nor shall you gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the needy and for the stranger. Lev. 19:19
3. But if someone who is supposed to be a Christian has money enough to live well, and sees a brother in need, and won't help him - how can God's love be within him? 1 John 3:17
4. Anyone who oppresses the poor is insulting God who made Them to help the poor is to honor God. Prov. 14:31
5. He who shuts his ears to the cries of the poor will be ignored in his own time of need. Prov. 14:31.
6. "If you have tow coats," he replied, "give one to the poor. If you have extra food, give it away to hose who are hungry," Luke 3:11
7. It is as the Scriptures say: "The godly man give generously to the poor. His good deeds will be an honor to him forever." 2 Cor 9:9
8. I want you to share your food with the hungry and bring right into your own homes those who are helpless, poor, and destitute. clothe those who are cold, and don't hide from relatives who need your help. Isa. 58.7.
9. Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of Bod. Blessed are you who hunger now for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh. Luke 6:20-21.
10. He who is generous will be blessed, for he gives some of his food to the poor. Prov. 22:9.
11. "the people of the land have practiced oppression and committed robbery, and they have wronged the poor and need and have oppressed the sojourner without justice...Thus I have poured out My indignation on them; I have consumed them with the fire of My wrath; their way I have brought upon their heads,' declared the Lord God. Ezek, 22: 29,31.
12. Come now, you rich, weep and how for your miseries which are coming upon you Your riches have rotted and your garments have become moth-eaten. ...Can you hear crying out against you the pay of the laborers who mowed your fields. The cries of the reapers have reached the ears of the Lord Sabaoth. You have lived luxuriously on the earth and led a life of wanton pleasure; you have fattened your hearts on a day of slaughter.
I suppose the fundies would argue that this applies to private charity, not actions of the hired help we elect to represent us. We have government programs because the problem is too big for private charity to handle. Private charity could never handle all the needs. And as anyone who has been following the news lately groups who do try to act privately run up against NIMBY. Not in my backyard. Not in my neighborhood. Not in my city. Not anywhere where I might be reminded that there for the grace of the Maker of All Things go I.
So on this "cheerful" note I end bid an unfond farewell to 2013 in the hopes that we can all work together to make 2014 much, much better.